In Search of a Sunrise

In Search of a Sunrise

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mumbai - Its Bollywood Baby!

Oh yeah! I am in the home of Shah Rukh Khan, my favourite Bollywood actor - and do you think I can find any of his movies for sale on the street??? No way - the pirates of Mumbai will not touch his movies, which in a way is rather great - theyre supporting their favourite actor. And SRK (as he's called) is HUGE here in India - more than any actor I can think of in the USA or Canada. I'm going to try again this morning before catching my train to Goa.

I've been really impressed with Mumbai to be honest. At first I was completely overwhelmed by its size. And that comes from someone who grew up in Toronto, which takes an hour to cross on the highway. Mumbai is likely 2 times the size or more, and has WAY more people in it than a 2x's multiple. The streets here are BUSY!

The pollution is kinda rough. Too many cars and boats in the harbor. Hell, there's oil refineries in the harbour too. They even have some huge operation on Elephanta Island, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You lose detailed sight of the harbourfront (from a boat) at about 0.5 km away. Which tells you that I went to Elephanta - and totally felt like I was in some cut scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom! LoL! And for those of you who really know me, that is saying something. Want some photos of Mumbai now??? I know you do... and for the cave temple photos, understand one thing: everything was hand carved from the rock. NONE of it was added later...

Gateway to India & Taj Mahal Hotel - Colaba, Mumbai

Not the Lord of the Rings, this is Elephanta Island's main cave

Entrance to the main cave

A wall carving of Kali

A lingum - with wishes placed around it - yes I made one too!
CST - Mumbai's main train terminal

Thats it for now... still have a few hours here though, so may have more later. In the meantime, be healthy and warm my friends and family. I know I am (35 degrees today - lol!).

No comments:

Post a Comment