In Search of a Sunrise

In Search of a Sunrise

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Farewell to Varanasi

So today I leave crazy Varanasi to go back to New Delhi (Pahar Ganj) for the last few days of my trip. Not sure how I feel about that to be honest. I've gotten quite used to being alone and on the road all the time. I'm worried I won't be able to settle down again. I've got the "voyage" in my blood now and I can't see how domestic life is going to suit me.

I definately know how I will be spending my next batch of vacation time, for sure. I'm thinking Mexico, backpacks and a fistfull of dollars - Cancun to Tulum for 2 or 3 weeks. Any takers???? If not, no worries - as I've said, travelling alone, been there and done that.

Now, Varanasi, you chaotic, shameless place! You've destroyed me forever. Babas, Sadhus and dead things floating in the river. And lets not forget the ever-present stench of burning corpses! That being said, I did everything I came here to do. Do I feel any different? I'm not sure. Things are certainly quieter inside but some pains just won't go away. While I feel very alive, there's a small part of me that knows something else has died. What exactly it is, I haven't been able to figure out.

What I do know is that I now have a clean slate, and that what comes next for me is of my own doing from this point forward. I've shunted the past pains into the Ganges and kissed the last goodbye to all that goes with it. One thing I've come to see here, and to understand is that while I may have loved and lost, the loss isn't mine. That's the true lesson I learned here... and now I go to shoot some filler video. Maybe of me playing with another cobra or something.

Safety went out the window and hasn't returned. Ladies and gentlemen - Mr 50/50 is back!

No comments:

Post a Comment