In Search of a Sunrise

In Search of a Sunrise

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Palolem - Day Three

Today I went hiking on Palolem Island, affectionately known around here as Monkey Island. At least this one was trailed, top to bottom. Still, it felt adventurous, since I was the only person on the island. I saw many cool little critters, but was too slow with my camera to capture them on film (skinks (small lizards), blue parrots and some monkeys). The few at the far size of the island was incredible - while there I watched a mated pair of eagles flying in and out of their nest (which I couldn't see). I did manage to get a nice photo of the male perched in a tree.

Later in the day, I went to visit the next beach down the coast, Patnam Beach. It was pretty much the same as Palolem, but more calm - vendors are not allowed on the beach there. Still, it was nice to see more than just my beach. Today (Day Four), I may go the other way, past the island, to see Butterfly Beach - not sure yet. For now I am taking two fellow travellers over to Palolem Island.

Last night I went for dinner in an Italian place to have pizza (it was great, although WAY overpriced). While eating, a cow walked into the restaurant, and no-one tried to get it out - they really do revere the cow here!

Thats about it - how about some of those promised photos???

Palolem Day 2 Photos

Lagoon, just before entering the mountain jungles

Some monkeys avoiding the noon sun

The tarantula nest I almost stepped in

A shot of the countryside around Palolem
Palolem Day Three Photos

Termite Mound on Palolem Island

The male eagle on Palolem Island

Patnam Beach

He just couldn't get a seat!!!
Thats it for the Goa updates today! I've already checked out of my hut and my bags are being stored for the day. Later, I'll make my way back to Madgaon to catch my train to Hampi first thing in the morning. Yeck, another night sleeping in the train station (at least its free, and Im all about the free shit), likely on the floor, like everyone else, lol! See you in Hampi - land of 1,600 year old temples!

No comments:

Post a Comment