In Search of a Sunrise

In Search of a Sunrise

Monday, January 30, 2012

Sounds like fun, I'll bring the beer...

The government of Canada has travel warnings for Canadians going to Mexico posted relating to scams, violence against tourists, theft and kidnappings. Sounds good and all, but how is that knowledge supposed to keep anyone safe? Is it meant to deter a person from traveling to a foreign country? I faced worse in India, trust me. Theft, violence, scams and kidnappings in Mexico? Hmm... I went through terrorist bomb threats, maoist insurgence and anti-north american sentiment (and violence I might add) in India. Not to sound indifferent, but a travel advisory that contains nothing different than I might face in my own country? No, I am not worried at all. Obviously, I will be taking precautions for my own safety, but what the government is saying doesn't worry me in the slightest, nor what we read in the media. A few isolated events do not a trend make...

No comments:

Post a Comment