In Search of a Sunrise

In Search of a Sunrise

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hostel Research

Been researching hostels in my destination cities this morning to get a feel for amenities and prices. From what I am seeing, there is a distinct probability that I will be cutting a night or two from the bigger cities, which in the end is fine with me. I've been in big cities all my life and they are all pretty much the same with some exceptions. Mumbai will definately be losing a night, unless I can find something way cheaper once there than I am seeing online. I'm sure I might be able to find some tips from other travellers on the road, so we'll see. I'm not holding my breath.

Rajasthan so far seems to be the cheapest place to go. I can find half decent hostels there for $2-5 Canadian a night. I don't need all the amenities anyways. I'm not going to India to be pampered. Although it would be nice to spend a night in the Lake Hotel in Udaipur ($700 US), I don'tthink that will be happening anytime soon.

The cost of travelling in Rajasthan has me very excited for that leg of my trip. The savings I can have here will offset the other places I will go that will dip into the funds a little heavier. Then again, the costings I am seeing online are just that, online. These vendors probably won't show all the budget palaces, because they cannot make much of a commission on booking them.

I guess the best bet is to simply wait and see how things are once I get to each location. Stressing over it now seems kind of pointless I know, but I think it's best to have some idea of what to expect before arriving in each city or village. Luckily, my Lonely Planet book has lots of budget places that simply don't show up in the online vendor lists. But then, maybe they don't exist anymore either...

Whatever the case may be, I am having fun, albiet stressful fun, doing these searches. Invariably, each search leads me to something cheaper or some hint of a sight to see that I hadn't considered before.

And so the searches continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment